Re: Free Speech and List Topics

> More disturbing to me recently has been the steady increase in subscribers
> to this list who don't seem to value free speech very highly, who write of
> their own nation's censorship as valiant efforts to protect citizen-units
> from foreign devils, and, even more shockingly, from supposed defenders of
> electronic freedom who are now talking about the need for limits on
> anonymity.

I too have noticed this, but we must remember that although we are
the people who see the tyranny of censorship etc. all to clearly we
are in a very small minority, the majority of people do not support
censorship because they have made a reasoned judgement, the either
support it because they are too lazy to do anytthing, too shit scared
of the government if they do, or they just do not take the time to
understand the issues and so support the common view, there is also
the case that many people "go with the majority", because they do not
want to appear different, and the media has so demonized free speech
and liberty advocated that to associate yourself with them now is
equivalent to telling people you are a rampant sexually deprived
paedophile in an anorak.

  Datacomms Technologies web authoring and data security
     Paul Bradley, [email protected]
       Http://www.fatmans.demon.co.uk/crypt/