Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

At 03:17 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:
>At 01:22 AM 9/3/96 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:
>>At 12:53 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Stanton McCandlish wrote:
>>> EFF in generally does not issue extremist position
>>> statements, but is careful to examine the risks as well as the benefits,
>>> and look for pro-liberty solutions to those risks.
>>
>>If the right to speak anonymously is an "extremist" position in the eyes
>>of the EFF, then they are no friends of liberty.
>>
>>It is hardly an "extremist" position outside of such countries as Cuba,
>>Iran, or China.
>>
>>It is the overwhelmingly mainstream position, not just among netizens,
>>but when last heard, amongst supreme court judges and ordinary people
>>in the street.
>
>Not necessarily. The character of the anonymous speech is decisive. If you
>use anonymity to cloak harassment, for instance, the anonymity (which
>removes accountability) is a problem.  The accountability issue is real and
>should be addressed, not evaded.

"Addressed", maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean, "solved."  For many
decades, people have been able to walk up to a pay telephone at 3:00 AM and
make a harassing phone call to somebody, a "problem" which still exists and
no solution is being implemented for.

I think it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that there is no solution
to the anonymity "problem" that isn't worse than the underlying anonymity.
And, BTW, I don't consider a pro-anonymity position to be an extremist one.

Jim Bell
[email protected]