Re: Conservation Laws, Money, Engines, and Ontology (fwd)

No, I wouldn't be willing to pay $50.00 to have sent that message to
cypherpunks.  But I would certainly have been willing to pay some smaller
non-zero amount, like a dollar (and then there is the question of the
entities I blind copied it to ...).  But I never claimed that charging was
the answer to everying or compatible with the cypherpunks anarchy.  It just
seems like a useful tool to have available.  Based on (hopefully secure)
message characteristics, you want to encourage some mail and probably give it
extra priority, other mail you might want to charge a penny or two for, and
known junk sources you want to charge as much as you can and then trash the
mail.  Probably remailers should sign messages so you can easily configure to
let their mail in if you want to get it.  But there should still be
appropriate social and legal action against network abusers as well.

Donald

 On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Andrew Loewenstern wrote:

> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 14:04:51 -0500
> From: Andrew Loewenstern <[email protected]>
> To: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Conservation Laws, Money, Engines, and Ontology (fwd)
>
> Donald Eastlake writes:
> >  I don't think any one step will solve all our spam problems
> >  but I wouldn't mind spending, say, 5 cents for each real piece
> >  of mail I sent outside my company and if end machines charged
> >  5 cents per piece of ouside mail received, I think spamming
> >  would be crippled.  (Note that with bad guy lists, you could
> >  collect the money and then just throw away the mail.)
>
> So would you be willing to pay $50.00 for this message you sent to
> cypherpunks?  If there are a thousand recipients and each one charges $0.05
> for the priveledge of you sending it e-mail....  It seems like such a scheme
> would not only cripple spam, but public discussion lists like this one.
>

> andrew

Donald E. Eastlake 3rd     +1 508-287-4877(tel)     [email protected]
   318 Acton Street        +1 508-371-7148(fax)     [email protected]
Carlisle, MA 01741 USA     +1 703-620-4200(main office, Reston, VA)
http://www.cybercash.com           http://www.eff.org/blueribbon.html