Re: TWA 800 - Serious thread.

Last night I started reading "Main Justice," by Pulitzer-winner Jim McGee
and Brian Duffy, about the DoJ's recent history of organized crime/drug
war fighting and wiretapping.

The book describes how Federal agencies have been granted more leeway in
terms of entrapment thanks mostly to a conservative Supreme Court. Scary
stuff.

-Declan

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Per the tendency of federal agencies to let it be publicly known that
> they lie openly to trap suspects (and apparently this technique has been
> OK'd for local enforcement as well):
>
> This is going to backfire on them (and us), and probably has already.
> If govt. protects its "sources and methods", however nefarious, to the
> extent that the public is never asked to assent to these methods (even
> though a few of us know about them anyway), then the public doesn't have
> to become overtly cynical about what's going on.
>
> On the other hand, whether you think the people have this much right to
> know or not, when the public consciousness embraces the concept that the
> police openly and regularly lie (and that it's a "good thing" they do),
> the result will be greater public cynicism, distrust, paranoia, hatred,
> and anarchy (the bad kind).

// [email protected] // I do not represent the EFF // [email protected] //