Re: Anthrax on the 'net [Was Re: Fear of Flying -- from HotWired ]

In list.cypherpunks, [email protected] writes:

> At 9:14 PM 9/17/96, Mike Fletcher wrote:
>
>>        The Frank Herbert (of _Dune_ fame) book _White Plague_ comes
>>to mind.  Basically a molecluar biologist's wife and kids are killed
>>by an IRA bomb while visiting Dublin.  He snaps and creates a plague
>>which kills women (men are carriers) as revenge.  All without using
>>that nasty Internet (in fact, the book was written back before even
>>ARPAnet).
>
> A _very_ minor correction. My copy of "The White Plague" is not handy, but
> I distinctly recall reading it circa 1980-1, certainly no earlier than
> 1977-8.

Right you are, Tim.  From the Minneapolis Public Library online catalog:

| AUTHOR: Herbert, Frank.
| TITLE: The white plague / Frank Herbert.
| EDITION: 1st ed.
| IMPRINT: New York : Putnam, 1982.
| CALL NO.: SCIENCE FICTION
| PHYSICAL FEATURES: 445 p. ; 24 cm.
| LC CARD NO.: 82-7586
| ISBN/ISSN: 0399127216 :
| OCLC NO.: 08432222

> But of course I agree that "The White Plague" was written long before "The
> Net" became a household name. (Interestingly, Herbert was
> computer-literate, and he even wrote a book about using PCs, circa the late
> 70s....something like "Nailing Jelly to a Tree.")

As long as I'm skulking about the library....

AUTHOR: Herbert, Frank.
TITLE: Without me you're nothing : the essential guide to home computers /
          Frank Herbert, with Max Barnard.
IMPRINT: New York : Simon and Schuster, c1980.
CALL NO.: QA76.5.H46
PHYSICAL FEATURES: 304 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
OTHER AUTHORS: Barnard, Max,
SUBJECTS: Microcomputers. * Minicomputers.
LC CARD NO.: 80-22315
ISBN/ISSN: 0671412876
OCLC NO.: 06761235
- --
           Roy M. Silvernail     [ ]      [email protected]
PGP Public Key fingerprint =  31 86 EC B9 DB 76 A7 54  13 0B 6A 6B CC 09 18 B6
                Key available from [email protected]