Re: Timmy May's spam (Was: Re: CIA hacked)

Adam Back <[email protected]> writes:
> > > It would seem to me that the first insults were thrown by yourself,
> > > and that your strange habit of bouncing all the fallout to the list is
> > > perpetuating the problem.
> >
> > No. Let me remind you the sequence of events, in chronological order:
> >
> > 1. Timmy May (who picked up a few popular PKC buzzwords, doesn't know
> > anything about crypto, and isn't interested in learning) started spamming
> > this mailing list with political rants
>
> I don't think this at all fair; if you've read his cyphernomicon, you
> will see that he has a perfectly good understanding of crypto.  His

On the contrary. Timmy has only a passable understanding of some aspects of
public-key crypto. He knows nothing about symmetric crypto and conventional
attacks. He even argued that practitioners don't need to learn any crypto
outside of PKC. (One of the things I don't like about Americans in their
propensity to take pride in their ignorance and lack of education. :-)

> strong point as I see it however, is that he was one of the first to
> think deeply about the implications of strong crypto, and document
> this in a fairly comprehensive manner.  This is a central topic for
> cypherpunks, after all: cypherpunks are trying to achieve poltical
> ends via strong crypto, crypto isn't being discussed in isolation, as
> a purely scientific endeavour.  sci.crypt with its charter is more
> this.
>
> Also, I would point out that you yourself don't restrict yourself to
> purely crypto discussions (aside from this latest war), you for
> instance recently discussed driving licenses in NY.  Not that I am

Right - the discussion of drivers licences and other credentials is definitely
crypto-relevant. The discussion, e.g., of the ethics of mandatory insurance is
not. My notion of crypto-relevance is fairly broad. E.g. I find the
assassination politics discussion to be crypto-relevant and sometimes very
interesting, and I kicked the ass of Alan Olsen and a few other assholes who
tried to suppress it.

I am very much interesting not only in the technical discussion of crypto, but
also in the implication of its use, which would be off-topic for sci.crypt
(fwiw). There's a difference between discussing privacy and ranting about
unfair taxation of rich old farts like Timmy May.

> complaining, or think this is especially inappropriate, as the topic
> of Chaumian credentials, and the current state of state mandated
> credentials I consider on topic, but you are criticizing others for
> analysing politics.  The [NEWS] series, also (I've already said I
> consider these useful), are hardly pure discussion of crypto, if this
> were your only concern.

Really? I was trying to pull out only the stories which obvious crypto
relevance. I'd be curious to know some examples of what in these series you
consider not to be crypto-relevant. Perhaps I made a mistake somewhere. In
particular, I consider _any discussion of electronic cash or money laundering
to be crypto-relevant.

> > 2. Most people who used to discuss crypto work on this mailing list
> > have unsubscribed.
>
> True, and unfortunate.  coderpunks feels somewhat reminiscent of how
> cypherpunks used to be in this regard, try subscribing to that, if you
> are uninterested in political aspects, and have not already.  I
> subscribe to both, because I think politics is also important, as well
> as churning out code, and just read very selectively on cypherpunks.

I have been subscribed to coderpunks almost since its beginning. It has
some interesting discussion. Unfortunately most of the folks who left the
original cypherpunks have not re-subscribed to coderpunks.

> > 6. Recently it came to my attention that Tim's been contacting off-list
> > various people in the computer security field and "complaining" about
> > the politically incorrect things that I supposedly say on the Internet
> > - except that he made up most of the "things" he complained about.
>
> I don't think it's near as serious as you are worrying about, all I
> heard him say was something about not understanding the motive for the
> (spit) stuff.  Hardly complaining, more a passing comment on your
> posting style than a complaint of "political incorrectness".

I'm not "worried", since Timmy May has already earned the reputation of a
nutcase and a liar in these circles, and is hardly in a position to
"assassinate" anyone's character. However I am somewhat angry that several
people I respect approached me in a short period of time and said something to
the effect, "You know, Timmy May's been complaining to me about what you write
on the Internet." Subsequent investigation revealed that he's been complaining
not even about the things I did say (plenty of which are "politically
incorrect"), but about things Timmy May himself made up - see quotes below.

> > 8. Since that time, several friends of Tim May (or maybe Tim himself,
> > using multiple accounts) have been sending me harrassing e-mail, often
> > by quoting my own cypherpunks articles and adding an obscenity.
>
> It appears that Chris Adams <[email protected]> started this.  And
> others confused by the quoting, presumed it was you.  (Especially
> since the headers were yours, as you were forwarding them.)  Also the
> fact that you were forwarding these emails probably would get you
> complaints anyway, even if the quoting had made it clear what was
> going on.

How do you know that "Chris Adams" is a real person separate from Timmy? I
rather doubt that someone other than Timmy himself would go into trouble
"defending" Timmy, let alone three separate people.

> > 9. Tim himself continues flaming me and telling lies about me (see his
> > recent rant with the subject "death threats").
>
> I guess you mean the purely fictitious Valdimir G Nulis :-) A cross
> between Vladimir Z Nuri (who many consider to be Detweiller) and
> yourself.

I've corresponded with L.D. and he's a very bright and knowledgeable
person. Timmy May lies when he claims that VZNuri (who's an idiot) could
possibly be his "tentacle". You really should get to know L.D. better
before you repeat the lies Timmy May spreads about him.

> I don't really see what you're complaining about: it's really oblique,
> and tame compared to your recent perfectly direct, and somewhat crude
> insults to Tim.
>
> > And you see, Timmy May is an obsessive liar and a vindictive nutcase.
>
> I don't see the liar, nor the nutcase. I haven't noticed him say
> anything which I considered untrue, nor have any of his posts appeared
> nutty.

I suspect that you haven't been following this discussion for long. Here's
a recent quote from myself:

]Despite the name, there's practically no crypto discussions on the list. A few
]weeks ago someone mentioned elliptic curves, and there was an outcry of how
]it's "off-topic". Instead the mailing list is flooded with rants and personal
]attacks from Tim May, who knows next to nothing about cryptography, and whose
]long-winded diatribes in support of child pornography, drugs, and Harry Browne
]have absolutely no crypto relevance. Tim's off-topic spews have driven Eric
]Hughes, John Gilmore, Rich Salz, and many other former valuable contributors
]off the mailing list. Today's Cypherpunks don't write code - they write lies
]and personal attacks. I'll quote a couple of Tim May's unprovoked personal
]attacks against me to illustrate the kind of traffic found on the Cypherpunks
]mailing list (as opposed to cryptography discussions):
]