Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

On Mon, 6 Jan 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Black Unicorn wrote:
>
> > > And I have all the confidence in the world in William Bennett,
> > > George Bush, and all their wonderful helpers in helping with the
> > > Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern California.
> > > Why not re-elect Hitler?
>
> > One knows one has come up with a potent weapon against one's enemies when
> > they begin to panic visibly like this. The smell of fear is in the air.
>
> Fear?  What fear?  I had a long and productive life before I subscribed
> here, and what with 1,000 or so programming projects awaiting me (and
> most other competent programmers), I certainly won't be wasting time
> bemoaning the fact that Sandy Sandfort "won" here, any more than I
> bemoan the fact that most wars anywhere are won by the bad guys.

Uh, Mr. Thorn, you already have wasted time in exactly that way.

> > The question is, will the ultimate internet trump card of a distractor
> > (Reference Godwin's law) divert the issue and save poor Mr. Thorn from a
> > policy which is certainly going to be a devastating impact on his public
> > exposure from here on out?
>
> I'll tell you something else. If I have an opportunity to contribute to
> a project that can fight censorship of this kind, I will do so eagerly.

Calling the moderation plan on the table "censorship" is quite a stretch.
I'm sure it serves your rhetorical purposes, but other than that it is
merely hot air.

> OTOH, I have no "tentacles", nor will I ever have such things.  I am not
> a communications, security, O/S, or other such kind of programmer/person,
> and I will not get into those types of applications short of physically
> saving my life.  In other words, if Sandfort/Gilmore cuts me off in the
> long run, it's doubtful you'd hear from me again unless something is
> forwarded from Freedom-Knights, and even that is doubtful.
>
> > It does amuse me that George Bush and William Bennett are thrown out
> > for fear mongering purposes before Godwin's law is invoked.
>
> One would think you would understand the principle of using examples
> to illustrate a point.

When those examples are chosen in a logical and directed way to
accomplish the intended association, yes.  You, however, have failed on
both accounts here.

> The very idea that those names would automatic-
> ally inspire fear is amusing.

Your propaganda knowledge is sorely lacking for one who would aspire to
influence thought by invoking Hitler and Bush in consecutive sentences.  I
admire your honesty in admitting yourself that those names were poorly
chosen, however.

> > One would think Mr. Thorn had mistaken the list for a liberal stronghold.
>
> Having read a lot of the crap put out by organizations from the KKK to
> the ADL (all scumbags BTW), I no longer take the naive position that a
> person is "liberal"

Seems your reading habits and choice of material have twisted your psyche
a bit beyond the point of reason.

> (hence, one-dimensional) or "conservative", or any
> other convenient tag.  Some people are liars, hypocrites, and assholes,
> though, and I prefer to determine that by their actions rather than
> their speculations.

You're batting 0 for 5.

> > Then again, no one ever accused Mr. Dale "Snake Oil" Thorn of being
> > afflicted with a strong writer's sense of audience).
>
> You mean I don't tailor my prose to what people want to hear?

I mean you have no clue what prose is appropriate and what is not.
Selling snake oil on this list, for example.

> Better yet, I don't go somewhere else where maybe I would be more
> welcome with my ideas?

That you don't flaunt ideas clearly flawed to the experts in the field
would be a better example.

> I'm embarrassed for you, for your lack of
> imagination.  And if the "snake oil" tag refers to my ideas on
> crypto software (i.e.., PGP), well, you have a long way to go
> before you provide a serious mental challenge to me.

The bathroom is at the end of the hall.  It's not a long walk.

--
Forward complaints to : European Association of Envelope Manufactures
Finger for Public Key   Gutenbergstrasse 21;Postfach;CH-3001;Bern