Re: Introducing newbies to encryption (was: Re: anonymous credit)

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 [email protected] wrote:

> Multiuser Unix Security == No Security.
>
> Your users may have illusions, but not true security.
>
> First thing I'd suggest is to explain them that nothing that goes through
> that central unix machine is truly secure.

It's absolutely true that nothing on a centralized Unix machine is truly
secure.  However, is abandoning all pretenses of crypto and security in
favor of holding out for a utopian ideal really the best solution?  Does
using encryption for email on multiuser machines actually hurt the cause
of the security community in the long run?

(I'm not asking rhetorical questions here -- I'm truly looking for some
thoughts on this.)

-Eric

--
Thus the time may have come to abandon the cool, measured language of
technical reports -- all that talk of "perturbations" and "surprises" and