Re: Introducing newbies to encryption (was: Re: anonymous credit)

Eric Nystrom wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Multiuser Unix Security == No Security.
> >
> > Your users may have illusions, but not true security.
> >
> > First thing I'd suggest is to explain them that nothing that goes through
> > that central unix machine is truly secure.
>
> It's absolutely true that nothing on a centralized Unix machine is truly
> secure.  However, is abandoning all pretenses of crypto and security in
> favor of holding out for a utopian ideal really the best solution?  Does
> using encryption for email on multiuser machines actually hurt the cause
> of the security community in the long run?

I would not call it truly "utopian". There is not much that's needed to
achieve reasonable personal security, protecting from attacks from the
Internet  -- an individual (pesonal) computer system that offers no
internet services. Could be bought for $300 or less.

	- Igor.