Re: Wine Politics Again!

At 11:13 PM 5/20/97 -0700, Kent Crispin wrote:
>On Tue, May 20, 1997 at 04:23:10PM +0000, Attila T. Hun wrote:
	[rant deleted - bill]
>Speaking of power corrupting, notice how the power to speak
>anonymously has destroyed this poor souls brain.

Attila's not anonymous - he's a regular poster, and has been
for long enough to build up some reputation around his penname.

> "Power corrupts..." isn't a property of governments,
> it is a property of individual human beings.

Mostly.  But you're presumably advocating government by humans.
And while government is an abstraction of the activities of a
lot of individual humans, governments do tend to accumulate
and abuse power, and tend to reach a point where they're more
interested in maintaining and increasing that power than in
any legitimate activities like protecting life, liberty, and property.
Consider the drug war, the military-industrial complex,
the fraction of your income that's paying for government,
and compare that with 200 years ago...

Also power _attracts_ the corrupt, and the corruptible.
As Henry the K said, it's the ultimate aphrodisiac.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
#   (If this is a mailing list or news, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)