Crypto Risks and Rewards

Senators Lott, Burns and Ashcroft discussed encryption
policy reform on June 27. The Deschall crack is cited as
a risk posed by Admin-McCain-Kerrey limitations. Ashcroft
stated:

   I am privileged to serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee
   where we will address this issue after the July recess. I
   pledge to work with members on that Committee and with
   other interested Senators and the leader to try to move a
   bill in that committee that will capture the essence of Burns
   substitute.

   No nationwide key recovery system, or a new licensing
   requirement for certificate authorities should be brought
   to the floor without thorough examination, analysis and
   understanding. We must further study the impact of these
   provisions well before this bill is brought to the Senate floor.

For full report:

   http://jya.com/crypto-pr.txt  (14K)

----------

The Law Society of England and Wales has published a
response to the March DTI risky biz for Trusted Third Parties:

   http://jya.com/ttp-lawsoc.htm

For the article Robert Hettinga cited by Thomas Vartanian
on the risks offering CA services:

   http://jya.com/ca-risks.htm

Recall that Mr. Vartanian provided the NSA paper, "How to
Make a Mint, the Cryptography of Electronic Money:"

   http://jya.com/nsamint.htm