White House "kinder, gentler"-CDA/censor empowerment meeting

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 00:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <[email protected]>
To: Seth Finkelstein <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: White House "kinder, gentler"-CDA/censor empowerment meeting

Below we see an excellent example of the naivete inherent in
Net-libertarian and cypherpunk writing. Obviously the writer does not
understand the complexities and challenges of Washington politics. In many
ways, it is like sausage being made: disgusting to watch, but a process
that results in the compromises so vital in a healthy democracy.

Which is why it is inappropriate to criticize the White House's position
on the CDA. If you speak your mind aloud, you run the risk of being
marginalized like the ACLU. How can you serve your constituents then?
Obviously, you can't. So I respectfully suggest that Mr. Finkelstein
disabuse himself of radical notions like opposing regulation of the
Internet.

I can only conclude that because Mr. Finkelstein does not live inside the
Beltway, we cannot expect him to realize that it is always necessary to
remain players in the game -- even if it means giving up fundamental
liberties in the process.

-Declan