Re: Netzwelt: Geiselnahme im Netz (article in DER SPIEGEL)

[...]
>          Mit so negativen Reaktionen hatte Kashpureff nicht
>          gerechnet. Noch vor einer Woche behauptete er
>          gegen�ber Wired News selbstbewu�t: "Wenn Network
>          Solutions mir an den Kragen geht, dann werde ich ein
>          gr��erer M�rtyrer als Phil Zimmermann" -- jener
>          inzwischen weltweit bekannte B�rgerrechtler, den die
>          US-Regierung erfolglos wegen der Verbreitung seiner
>          Verschl�sselungssoftware PGP verfolgt hatte.
>          Angesichts des Imageproblems, das Network Solutions im
>          Netz hat, war die Zuversicht des Dom�nenguerilleros
>          gar nicht so abwegig. Doch trotz dieser alten
>          Animosit�ten stiftete Kashpureffs Aktionismus
>          ausnahmsweise einmal Konsens in der Welt der
>          Internetverwalter: So geht es nicht.

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/themen/kashpureff.html
[...]

...Kashpureff didn't expect such a negative reaction.
"When Network Solutions cuts my throat, then I will become
a gurella martyr like Phil Zimmerman (of PGP fame)"
he proclaimed to Wired news....
[...]

Give me a break!  this is like some bad tv movie.
Kashpureff, the self-styled martyr in hiding from the feds
as they move in to seize his computers after he hijacked
traffic from Nework Solutions' website to his own
(in a desperate attempt to log some hits?). If this is supposed
to be some profound statement, I think the message is lost
in the idiocy of it all.

As I stated in a previous posting, I denounce this type of traffic hijacking
as irresponsible practice and as a negative reflection on other independents
who are working to open up the address space on the net in the interests
of the public.

If Kashpureff would like to participate in the evolution of the net,
he should not jeopardize its stability of for the sake of personal vanity.

This type of drama and diversion are totally unnecessary, and obscures
the focus on the real issues at hand in the whole namespace debate.
One major factor of the issue is being settled in the name.space/pgMedia
anti trust action against NSI...Kashpureff and others could potentially benefit
from the outcome of that action if they conduct themselves in a mature and
responsible manner.  The next step in the implementation of the expanded
namespace demands responsible practice if we are to avoid government
regulation and corporate beauracracy and let the system evolve and regulate
itself naturally.

Judging by this recent bahavior though, it appears that some can't deal
with it all now, that it's beginning to get too real.
The games and posturing are over.  It's time to finally put up or shut up.

...In my opinion, that is...

Paul Garrin
name.space
http://name.space