Re: CDT complains to my editors after post to cypherpunks

At 7:41 AM -0700 9/26/97, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>[CDT's Jonah Seiger copied this message to my editors. I'm still waiting
>for him to answer my questions. --Declan]

Let us know what happens. I'd guess that your editors do nothing. Not
exactly a fireable offense. Your messages to Cypherpunks or
Fight-Censorship may differ in tone from your articles in "Time" or other
fora. This is natural, it seems to me.

The larger issue is that the CDT/VTW "players" are showing their
willingness to trade away the civil liberties of us all for a few minor
tidbits thrown (they think) to corporate sponsors.

Washington is a city based almost exclusively on theft. It feeds off the
rest of the country, indeed, the rest of the world. It thrives by
collecting tribute. The more laws it can generate, the more tribute, and
the more power it has. Like the other famed imperial capitals,  the only
game in town is politics. Meaning, how to collect and distribute money.

Those who work near Washington tend to get pulled into this power vortex.
They become functionaries, advisors, consultants, lobbyists, or even,
sometimes, elected politicians themselves.

This is probably why EFF belatedly realized that their soul was being lost
and got the hell out. That so few news magazines delved into this is
telling.

I think a major expose of the "cyber liberties" lobbying groups in
Washington is needed. Where they get their funding, what their real goals
are, why they are so willing to compromise on basic liberties. Maybe you
will write it, Declan.

--Tim May