Re: Why Jodi Hoffman.....makes more sense than you think.

At 02:23 PM 11/5/97 +0000, Jodi Hoffman wrote:
>From: Lizard <[email protected]>:
>>
>>So, allying yourself with people who would gladly force *your* childen to
pray to *their* God doesn't bother you in the least. Fascinating.
>===========
>Interesting that you should mention this.  I, like many other Jews, have
>finally noticed something about Christians....
>Seems they're actually _more_ Jewish than Jews.  At least they
>(Christians) try to follow the Ten Commandments, which is a hell of a
>lot more than I can say for most every Jew I've ever known.  Most
>Jews, other than Orthodox, self-identify as atheists and don't even know
>how to conduct a Passover service!  Unless you're Orthodox, being Jewish
>is a joke.  IMHO, claiming to be a Reform or Conservative Jew is the
>same as being "kind of" pregnant.
>
>(bracing for fresh onslaught of anti-Semetic spears to be chucked)

The spears I would chuck would be anti-ignorance, not anti-Sem*i*tic
(spelling counts).

But I won't chuck them, because I have suddenly seen the light that the
religion I have practiced for almost half a century is a joke.  And I've
also just been enlightened that all of the members of my shul are jokes
too.  Damn, I've just come to realize that even my Rabbi is a joke.  (Well,
you may have a point there -- he is pretty funny.)  I'd like to go ask my
grandparents about this, but, alas, I can't.  See, 3/4 of them never quite
made it out of the camps alive.  So in their absense, I am ever so grateful
that you have chosen to explain my life to me.

I do have a question, though -- actually, two.

First, are you Orthodox?  I would not dream of presuming about you, even
though you seem to know all about me.

Second, do you believe that there is only one true flavor of Christianity,
or are you more tolerant of your Christian friends?  If there is only one
true Christianity, btw, please be so kind as let the world know what it is.

-Jim, the kind of pregnant conservative Jew, who knows full well how to
lead a Seder.