Re: I must admit. . .

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Joel O'Connor wrote:

> Cypherpunks write code?  Make people use it. . .
>

> ---mib <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 12:25:50PM -0800, you wrote:
> > > I wonder sometimes whether or not there is hope for us to ever stop
> > > this tyrrany.  I've seen a bunch of us diss the strike saying it was
> > > an outlandish and foolish idea, but I hadn't seen anyone of you come
> > > up with something better.

Kill Saddam Hussein instead of thousands of normal Iraqi people.

Everyone is touting how he is behind every nasty thing that the
Iraq does, so just kill or capture and imprison him. Don't take
it out on all the Iraqis.

Now, how's that for an alternative?

But I doubt it will happen.

The UK+USA need an icon, a person to embody as THE international
satanic terrorist threat to all civilized nations. Otherwise their
current military expenditures would look ridiculously high and
unnecessary, now that the Russians don't pose any threat. This is
also why terrorist horror scenarios and stories are increasingly
used to justify incredible expenditure. The military is engaged
in creating a threat to justify their existence and continued
economic well-being. Saddam is worth much, much more to them when
he is alive and well in Iraq.

The fact, however, is that any loony Unabomber cooking some anthrax
in his cellar in the US, would be able to harm the US more than the
whole nation of Iraqis right now, or in the years to come. Welcome
to Echelon and big brother surveillance justification.

++ J