Re: DVD legal maneuvers (decss and the lawyers)

Most MS based installers that I played with read a LICENSE file from
the current directory.  By replacing the poorly written text provided
with a copy of your favorite license, you can get their installer to
offer more equitable and proper license terms.

The few click-through on the web licenses I've seen usually are easily
understood, and can be replaced with a nc command line to allow you to
view arbitrary web pages.

All of this boils down to licensing is a social problem, not a
technical one.  Trying to solve social problems by technical means
doesn't work.

Adam

On Sun, Jan 02, 2000 at 11:21:44AM -0500, Marcel Popescu wrote:
| While I haven't actually seen the Xing software, I have already been bugged
| long enough by this problem - how can I install the software and NOT agree
| with its license? So I've written a tiny, not very friendly program, and put
| it at http://picosoft.freeservers.com/NoLicense.htm - its intended purpose
| is to change the caption of the button which says "Yes" to "No" :)

					               -Hume