Re: Hacking commercial systems.

Phill writes:
> [One vendor's] opinion was that attempting such a crack on a "live" system
> consitituted conspiracy to commit fraud
[...]
> If a request were made for a sample of material to work on most companies
> would oblige and a refusal would provide protection against legal tactics.

Assuming for the sake of argument that the vendor's opinion turns out to be
legally valid (IANAL):

There's something here I don't understand. How would a refusal to provide
a sample for testing/hacking provide protection against possible fraud
charges for hacking The Real Thing (tm) ?

Maybe that's how the law works (in some jurisdictions), but I don't see a
logical connection. I'm not aware of companies involved in deployed payment
systems throwing samples to the dogs.

-Futplex <[email protected]>