Re: Re: Reformated: How secure....

    Firstly, I would like to thank Cypherpunks members for helping me
evaluate and critique my document on PrivaSoft's security. I would like
to address several of the issues raised on list list.

    1. Alot of question would be answered if you had a copy of
PrivaSoft to look at or at least a scrambled page to examine. Both of
these are available at our WEB site
(http://www.privasoft.com/privasoft) this is not an advertising plug,
it really helps to see the thing in action to better understand its
capabilities.
    2. Re: the 9 digit key.
        Partially why you misunderstand the strength of the 9 digit key
in PrivaSoft is b/c Graphical Encryption is very different form data
encryption. Graphic encryption takes an image of your document and
scrambles the tiles accross the page in a pseudo-random order based
both on the encryption algorithm and the key used, Each key produces a
completely different scramble. Further, descrambling entails moving
tiles and recognition of readable text. An edge detection machine would
not be helpful with PrivaSoft, as far as I know, OCR or human
interface, or the PrivaSoft descrambler( with the correct key) are the
only methods that can be employed. And all three of these take
considerable time. Time is a key factor here (no pun intended). the
strength of an encryption relies heavily on the time it takes to
bruteforce check different keys. as such, even the addition of 10
miliseconds to the process is a significant increase in security when
taken on the large scale of how many keys need to be checked.

    3. The key extension is useful when documents are scrambled using
the same default key. This feature adds 2 digits to your key, thus,
even the same exact document scrambled with the same key but a
different key extension would produce a radically diofferent scramble.

    4. With regard to the increased font size, this is not necessary
but is helpful in that the tiles themselves would contain less
recognisable features of letters.

    5. As a fax security product, their is nothing comparable to
PrivaSoft in ease of use, strength, verstility. I'm sure you have all
recieved faxes that have come in skewed, with heavy line noise, a black
line running accros the page, or any other combanaiton of fax problems.
These do not effect PrivaSoft's capability to descramble the fax,
PrivaSoft has several patented features that produce readable text even
after moderate damage to the page. Also, if you haven't figured this
out yet, PrivaSoft is the only encryption software that provides
Hardcopy encryption and decryption, ie. you can print out a hardcopy of
the scrambled image, and fax it, store it, even snail mail it and then
on the recieving end, fax or scan it back into the pc and decrypt.

    6. re: custimization:
        This refers to our capability, for corperate clients and the
like, to produce batch operation or need specific features. Also we can
increase the digits of the key if the client requires such, as in gov't
agencies etc, however this is not necesary for day to day use as
PrivaSoft is strong enough for most transmissions over the Net and via
fax regardless of the prevalent comments by many members of this group.
I do not take offence at the many slurs on our product. I fully believe
that if any of those who believe that PrivaSoft is a fly-by-night or
bogus product have not looked at or tried the software and therfore
speak from less than a knowledgable position. Please do not take this
the wrong way, I do not mean to insult anyones inteligence or ability,
I just mean to say that many here are quick to judge, and they have a
right to be suspicious of everything and everyone, that is the nature
of security, but I do challenge the naysayers to truly check out the
software before completely condeming its use and capabilities. I have
personnally demonstrated are software to several key individuals in the
gov't, military, and corperate arenas both executive and technical
persons. All were impressed have taken the software back for further
testing. I have recieved positive responces from them and many have
recomended / are presently using PrivaSoft.

    Once again, thank you for your help in editing and restructurin g
the How secure document and i will post an updated version when it is
ready. Also, if anyone would like a scrambled page E-mailed to them to
look at / try to crack please E-mail me as such, I do not wish to post
one only b/c many of you might not want to recieve it. If you have
further questions or comments, I do appreciate and encourage them,
please feel free to E-mail me at [email protected] or post them
here.

Steve O.

PrivaSoft TM                                    *
1877 Springfield Ave PO BOX 600                 *
Maplewood NJ 07040-0600                        *
Tel. 201-378-8865  Fax. 201-762-3742            *
Http://www.privasoft.com/privasoft              *
E-mail: [email protected]                  *