Re: Fwd: FC: Gun groups take aim at new FBI database

At 06:11 AM 12/2/98 +0100, Lucky Green wrote:
>On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>

>> >http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/16561.html
>> >
>> >                     Gun Groups Take Aim at Database
>
>"EPIC director Marc Rotenberg likened the plan to driver licensing, adding
>that privacy safeguards should be in place."
>
>Well, at least this makes it clear where EPIC stands on civil liberties.
>License to exercise your rights under the 2nd, license to exercise your
>rights under the 1st...
>
>-- Lucky Green <[email protected]> PGP v5 encrypted email preferred.

Usual car, driver, and gun licensing rant:

While I do not support regulating guns like driving (or indeed driving like
driving), most gun control thugs ignore the fact that vehicle regulation is
not as broad as they seem to think.

The following statements are true:

It is legal to own a car without a driver's license or vehicle registration.

It is legal to drive an unregistered car without a driver's license (in
some circumstances).

No permission is required to purchase a car and felons, the mentally ill,
children, aliens and those guilty of misdemeanor domestic violence offenses
can buy cars and most of the above can drive cars on public streets and roads.

You are not required to report the purchase of a car to anyone.

It is legal to drive a car on public streets and roads in the US with a
license from any jurisdiction on earth.

It is legal to drive a car on public streets and roads in the US that is
registered in other states or nations.

It is legal to drive a car on public streets and roads in the US that is
owned by and registered to any person or legal entity.

Legal entities can own and register cars and permit anyone they like to
drive them.

Note that if we regulated guns like driving, the above would mean that you
could buy and use a gun on your own property without licensing,
registration or reporting.

DCF